Tuesday, May 27, 2014

My First Fiber Festival

I can't believe how long it's been since I've posted here! I need to update the blog on all of my craftyness since the first of the year. I'll limit this post to this weekend though.

My little brother, his wife, and their kids live in Dickson, TN. It's about an hour from Nashville and a 5 hour drive away from me. I don't get to visit them very often and I miss them a lot. They have the Middle Tennessee Fiber Festival each year on Memorial Day Weekend. I've been wanting to go to a Fiber Fest for the last year so we decided to visit on that weekend so I could go to that and get to visit with them.

I've been trying to save for a spinning wheel since January but something always happens. The built in microwave broke down (still not replaced) and then the washing machine broke down a few days later. The used replacement broke within a week so we had to buy a new machine. The car battery died and I had just enough saved for that. It was just one thing after another. Well my husband had the opportunity to work 20 hours of Overtime two weeks ago so he said that we could use the extra money to buy me a spinning wheel!!! Yay! We didn't think I'd be able to get one there because the price on the LadyBug spinning wheel, the one I wanted, had just gone up. Also they have a 9.75% tax rate in Dickson and that adds up to a lot. It would be the higher price online but I wouldn't have to pay sales tax or shipping so we thought I'd have to order it. Well I got a great deal and brought home my spinning wheel! Much Squeeing was had. That's my son in the background.


My hubby also got me lots of fiber and two skeins of Doctor Who inspired yarn.

Clockwise: Rainbow is Wild Hare Fiber Studio Grateful Dyed, Daily Fiber Mexican Gradient, Bagged Batt is LunaBud Knits Margarita Smoothie, Two yarns are LunaBud Knits Bigger on the Inside and Tardis in the Buddy base. The center green and purple is Daily Fiber Hydrangea Gradient. I also got some buttons that aren't pictured. My favorite says "I knit so I don't kill people"
I'd already started spinning the purple and green fiber in the center. This is the first half on the bobbin.

It's so purty!

The highlight of the day, behind getting the wheel of course, was getting to meet LaLa from The Knit Girllls Podcast. The fact that she was wearing a Browncoat shirt was just icing on the cake. Excuse the picture. There was no way I was wearing makeup that day. After the Fiber Fest we went to the baseball field to watch my nephew play ball. My two nieces played while I was at the Fiber Fest. It was very hot that day.

She's pretty on the podcast but a knockout IRL. And so sweet.

I don't normally take selfies but here's one I took with my dog last week. One of the few pics of myself that I actually like.


Well that was my Memorial Day weekend. It was awesome. We're back home now and getting into the swing of the last week of school. I'm pooped from all that driving but I've got to get my house into some semblance of order since it kinda got trashed when we were packing to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment